Oldie But A Goodie

March 20, 2020




Spring cleaning is off to a strong start. In addition to cleaning my room, I've decided to clean through my phone too. During this, I found an old note I made where I jotted down my thoughts seeing A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood. First off, If you haven't seen ABDITN, omg go watch that now- I mean you do have time after all. Honestly, what a perfect movie to watch now.

In times of despair, Tom Hanks always serves as a beacon of light. A person that symbolizes hope if you will. Just as Julie Andrews is a grandma to us all, Tom Hanks serves as our grandpa. With each movie, the underlying lesson is how we can be the greatest and kindest humans.

Growing up, I have faint memories of watching Mr. Rodgers. I remember the puppets and Mr. Rodgers's red sweater but that's about it. When it came to the ABDITN movie, I was not jumping at the chance to go out to see it. My hesitation came from my preconceived notion that it would be a memoir of his life that didn't pique my interest- no offense Mr. Rodgers.

Though it wasn't my first pick, I'm so glad my grandma recommended it when she came for Thanksgiving. This movie is a feel-good, warm hug, consumed by love type of movie. The happiness that radiates off the screen will make you yearn for that eruption of positivity all day long.

Regardless of any life situation, big or small, the humanity lesson taught and can be translated into everyday life is what everyone can utilize. 

By understanding humans from a new perspective, that's how you're able to learn about your fellow peers, friends, family, and strangers. Learn that what's shaped them, good and bad, is why they act the way they do. Though this isn't always positive, it means there's room for them to learn from present mistakes for future growth. This movie not only retaught a lesson on humanity, but it also reinstated my love for journalism.

How words transcend time and resonate with readers as their eyes dance along with each sentence, from word to word, absorbing the context for later reference. How articles can stop time, evoke emotions and ignite fires to start change, understanding or empathy and compassion. Writing is an act of communication; a common human interaction that's been negatively altered.

Now that humanistic traits have been mentioned, let's manage it. Manage it by not only being able to verbalize our opinions and thoughts gracefully but also by taking the time to hear the other person out, process their perspective and see why they feel that way. Listening, understanding and gathering facts is the only way we can properly comprehend what link hasn't been connected during translation to get to the point of understanding. 

Though there were a lot of takeaways from this movie, there was a quote at the end that struck a chord in me:

"If it's human, it's mentionable. If it's mentionable, it's manageable," (A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood).

Some problems seem too big to manage but every problem has a solution. Every tunnel has a light, you just have to hold onto hope and when you start to stray, hold on tighter. Lean on your people and strangers, you can be surprised when people ban together.


So what do you say? Let's be human again.



Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Yo It's Clo. Design by FCD.