Skincare is Self-Care

September 29, 2019





(Published on Fashion 360 Magazine)

Skin is sensitive, both physically and literal for me. I didn't realize how lucky I was to have clear skin until I started experiencing breakouts. 

If you have read my body bloom post, then the following information is nothing entirely new. If you are new, welcome lol. If not, you'll just be learning a little more about my journey with acne.

Prior to junior year of high school, I never had an issue with my skin. It was not sensitive, nor was it oily. The lack of issues led my skin to be put on the back burner of my mind. Then, things took a turn my junior year. My face would not calm down. I became a regular at the dermatologist; I was put on antibiotics, testing various face washes and lotions, was put on birth control, testing various topicals. So on and so forth.

Now, let me preface by saying this is not a pity party. As we all know, there are bigger issues in the world, but not having the ability to feel comfortable without wearing makeup sucks. It messes with your mind and confidence because you think it's the first thing people will notice about you and the only thing they will focus on. Luckily, we have come out on top my friends. I have found products and a routine that works. These products not only work, but they're also vegan and made with natural ingredients. 

Have you ever watched the Youtube videos Allure produces? They are fascinating. Recently, I watched their video, 'The day in the life of a Dermatologist.' Though it was fascinating to watch Dr. Shereene Idriss go about her day, my favorite part was learning about her morning and nighttime skincare routine. This in turn, motivated me to modify my routine.

Over the past three weeks, I have put Dr. Idriss's tips and tricks to the test. I can honestly say I am extremely satisfied with the results. (I mean, I hoped for this because she is a dermatologist after all.) But I am so satisfied that I just had to share.

In the morning, it is best to wash your face with warm water only. Our skin has natural oils and when you use a face wash, you strip away the new layer your skin has created. (Using a face wash in the morning, strike one for me.) Then, dab your face with a towel to dry it; don't rub. (Strike two.)

Why dab and not rub? Dr. Idriss explained that when your skin is dry, a new layer of skin is working to regenerate and form. But by constantly rubbing your skin, this does not allow the new layer of skin to fully develop. Ultimately, creating a never-ending cycle of dry skin. 

After washing my face, I use a reusable cotton pad to apply my Mario Badescu Rose Water Witch Hazel Toner. Next, I use a Vitamin C Radiance Serum by Honest to dab into my skin. The Honest Depuff Eye Gel is next to be applied to my face. The nice feature about this product is that a little goes a long way! The final skincare product the is applied to my face is a new favorite that was recommended by Dr. Idriss, Weleda Skin Food. 

This cream is extremely hydrating and gives you a dewy glow, which I normally stray away from due to my oily skin, but there's something about this product that doesn't make me look and feel oily. Another suggestion Dr. Idriss made was to apply this cream with a beauty blender. This seemed strange to me at first but after using Weleda, I understand why this is important. It is a rich cream and by using the beauty blender, this helps to set the cream into your skin.

Since this article is all about skincare, I will not dive into my makeup routine. Rather, I will only make two suggestions in terms of a product and company to test out. As we all know, I have oily skin; shocking I know. This has led me to try a plethora of primers over the years. Recently, I have given Milk Hydro Grip Primer a try. Since it's a gel, it goes on cool and dries sticky which in turn, helps set my CC Cream I apply afterward. The CC Cream, setting power, and mascara I use are from Thrive Causemetics. Thrive is another paraben, sulfate, and cruelty-free company. 

Once my day is over, one of the first things I do when I get home is use Honest Beauty Makeup Wipes to take off my makeup before changing into a comfy pair of sweatpants. From getting cozy to consuming a delicious meal, I hop into the shower. I wash my face with the First Aid Beauty Face Cleanser. 

When it comes to washing my face at night, I have specific steps for specific days. On Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday, I use my Clarisonic. I don't use my Clarisonic everyday since it would be too harsh and strip my skin down too much. So, on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, I exfoliate my face with the Mario Badescu Glycolic Acid Toner. Then, I repeat the same steps from my morning routine.

Apply Mario Badescu Rose Water Witch Hazel Toner (if I didn't exfoliate my face), Vitamin C Radiance Serum, and then the Honest Depuff Eye Gel. Before applying my face cream, I apply a Cosrx Acne Pimple Master Patch where it's needed. After the patched are placed on my spots, I will then massage Weleda Skin Food into my skin and hop into bed. 

This seems like a lot of steps, but it's easy and quicker than you would think! As a subtle disclaimer, this routine works for me but skin varies person to person. The brands and products I have mentioned are not skin-specific. Meaning, they're not labeled as being only beneficial for a specific type of skin. As a general note, always do your research before investing.

Being aware of what you put on your body is just as important as as what you put in it!

Till next time, cheers!
Clo

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Yo It's Clo. Design by FCD.