Being an aesthetically pleasing and unique business is a key factor of a business model today. Before Instagram, a gym just had to provide machines and maybe a couple of classes to peak one’s interest. Today, the type of exercise classes that are offered are not over the top but fun. Working out went from being a drag to becoming an event. You can do it in groups, take fun videos or photos, so on and so forth.
Although a class and studio may be aesthetically pleasing, is it physically pleasing? Was the hype worth your money by actually providing a good workout? Or, did it make you feel overwhelmed?
I have been through the wringer trying to find what works for me. During my fitness journey, I have tested a majority of fitness classes offered and here is my general list and rundown of my thoughts on those classes.
Class Rundown
- Spin classes: I have taken about 10 classes in my life. I do enjoy these classes but I don’t do this every day. I like the leg workout it provides but I’m more keen on classes that are a full-body workout. This class is perfect for my gals and guys looking to improve their cardio! What a way to strengthen it.
- Hiit classes: This had been my latest go-to. I started this in the Spring when I was still at university. Going into it, I was scared I was not strong enough for the circuits or it would be similar to CrossFit, which we'll get to my thoughts on that later. The reason why I believe this type of class is great for all levels of fitness because you can modify the movements and go at your own pace. Plus, it’s a group class so you can bring your friends along, hype each other up and then go to brunch. What a time.
- Crossfit: Many love this, many hate this. Unfortunately, I am the latter of this situation. I did not enjoy CrossFit one single second. I think the reason for that was because I was left to fend for myself which was a recipe for disaster. (As this article continues, you will see why). Great for self-motivated people who already have a sense of self-awareness, self-motivation and have a strength goal.
- Yoga: My true love. This may be because I was a dancer growing up but this is my favorite fitness class of all time. Your arms, core, and legs are continuously challenged and growing stronger. Also, it improves or helps you maintain your flexibility as well as your posture. My mind becomes blank as I focus on my breath and what pose I am doing. If you haven’t tried hot vinyasa, get your booty to a studio now. One of my favorite parts of working out is sweating it out. I feel not only accomplished but like all of the toxins in my body have been squeezed out. TMI? Sorry, not sorry. This class is perfect for anyone at any fitness caliber- unless you are an impatient person.
- Pilates: Yet another class that has my heart. Although it captured mine, this is a 50/50 for others. The reason? It targets the small muscles you don’t think about, you barely sweat, and it is pricier. By the end of a session, my legs and arms are shaking and the next day, I feel like a noodle. As I mentioned before, you barely sweat. I am not a scientist so I am unaware as to why this is but it’s true. Not dripping in sweat doesn’t mean you aren’t working hard, it’s just that everything moves slower. I would recommend this class as being a winter activity for special occasions when you want to treat yourself. As for fitness levels, again, another one that’s good for all levels.
- Boxing: The last of this mighty list. It is one of the best workouts, I believe. It is perfect for someone who wants their limbs to feel like jello and who wants to sweat a lot. This is a full-body workout, (again, not a certified fitness person so this may be dependent upon your studio). Good for upper body strength and cardio too. I would say if you are used to taking classes and have been in somewhat of a workout groove, this is well suited for you. If you are just starting, go for it! You can take breaks as needed but again, depending on the studio, it may be harder to adjust for yourself compared to a hiit class.
**Honorable mention: aerial yoga; what a workout**
But since I am not a verified fitness guru or instructor, you may be wondering how I came to gather these opinions and reviews?
Like many, I was active and on a sports team. Growing up as a dancer, I was used to having someone lead workouts, instruct me on what and how to do circuits. From Monday to Saturday, I danced for a minimum of 4-7 hours per day. Since I was fairly active, I did not go to the gym on my off days. Why? Well, I didn’t feel the need to.
(Not having any experience at the gym on my own is a key factor to keep in mind during this story.)
It wasn’t until college when I realized, I don’t know what to do. I would go to the gym, start on the elliptical and then do the same abs, arms, and leg exercises I would have done if I were still at practice. Although I had done this over and over in high school, this time it felt different. I was not as motivated and did not enjoy it as much. My rec center at school offered workout classes but I didn’t utilize this until my senior year- yeah yeah, I know, stupid.
So, this lovely cycle continued through freshman year, then when I came home, I started a boxing class with my mom over the summer. This is when I started to realize what I needed.
I need an instructor to be watching me and giving me orders because I feel the need to perform my best when someone is watching. I believe this stems from my dance background. I thoroughly enjoyed the boxing classes but also realized I needed to find another activity that allowed me to stretch and relax too, which is why I started rotating through yoga and pilates.
Pilates was only in the rotation when I was home since it was pricier and I went with my mom to her sessions. The movements were minimal and slow but they worked the muscles you usually would not target which is why I enjoyed it. As for yoga, we had a great studio at school that only charged $4 per class. I was able to find a way to relax, maintain my flexibility and stay active in a way that I was used to. Although I keep this form of exercise in my weekly rotation, this past spring I decided to try a hiit class for the first time.
Like I said before, I thought it would have been like CrossFit, which immediately made me skeptical about trying the class. But the first one was free, so what did I have to lose? After my free session, I loved it. My friends and I would go as a group- ultimately making it more fun as well as a way to hold each other accountable. Again, I truly believe the way that I grew up working out, being part of a team, has played a role in what type of classes I enjoy and how I need to work out.
I have been fortunate to have had the ability to test the waters and figure out which path works best for me. Since I have dabbled in various types of classes, I believe it would be useful to share my own experiences with others. Starting the groove of working out is hard and can be not fun for some. But once you’re in the game, you find what you like and what works for you, you start to feel physically and mentally better! Here’s to finding your perfect match.
Till next time, cheers!
Clo


Post a Comment