Like many, Devil Wears Prada is a movie that is not only a classic that I've watched more times then I am willing to admit, but it is also a movie with a concept that continuously fascinates me. Each time I watch this film, I pick up a new lesson, easter egg or I find an old trend that's wormed its way back into todays fashion. Though from a young age, I have been in love with fashion, I understand this niche market is either loved or loathed. But regardless of how one feels, it will always be part of one's life.
Just as Meryl Streep's Miranda Priestly had said Anne Hathaway's Andy,
"This stuff’? Oh, okay. I see, you think this has nothing to do with you. You go to your closet and you select out, oh, I don’t know, that lumpy blue sweater, for instance, because you’re trying to tell the world that you take yourself too seriously to care about what you put on your back. But what you don’t know is that that sweater is not just blue, it’s not turquoise, it’s not lapis, it’s actually cerulean. You’re also blindly unaware of the fact that in 2002, Oscar de la Renta did a collection of cerulean gowns. And then I think it was Yves Saint Laurent, wasn’t it, who showed cerulean military jackets? And then cerulean quickly showed up in the collections of eight different designers. Then it filtered down through the department stores and then trickled on down into some tragic 'casual corner' where you, no doubt, fished it out of some clearance bin. However, that blue represents millions of dollars and countless jobs and so it’s sort of comical how you think that you’ve made a choice that exempts you from the fashion industry when, in fact, you’re wearing the sweater that was selected for you by the people in this room. From a pile of “stuff.”
And with that, I digress.
As I stated before, fashion is a 50/50 for people. No matter your stance on fashion, you cannot deny the fact that your clothes play a role in some shape, way and form within your life. We all have that one piece that brings back fond memories we hold dear to our heart, that makes us feel so confident we channel a different persona that day, or that is our comfort blanket.
I view fashion as being a walking form of art. Dramatic? Maybe, but hear me out. On the outside, we as humans are a blank canvas. Our body provides endless possibilities of outfits to wear and our mind provides us with endless ideas of how to wear outfits. Though I still consider myself to be introverted at times, fashion has allowed me to grow and gain confidence within myself to be extroverted.
It allowed me to present my personality and who I am to the world without having to say a single word. It allowed me to feel as though I found who I am. It has been a constant amongst the ever changing phases of my life. My clothes make me feel secure and confident with my decisions because my outfits are usually inspired by someone I look up to which whom possess characteristics I admire and want to channel myself.
Does this mean I am not staying true or putting up a fraud version of myself out into the world? No. Rather, I am allowing myself to highlight these characteristics I admire and do contain myself to be given the boost they need to shine.
I've had this thought about fashion for awhile now. To say it annoys me when people automatically assume I am snotty or stuck-up based on the pretense that I like fashion is an understatement. I never knew how to properly explain why clothes matter and play a role in your life until I read Amy Smilovic's Instagram caption for one of her pictures back in August.
Yes, I understand this all seems trivial and silly but can you deny the fact that you've had experiences similar to me? The first time you put on heels and felt like you could conquer the world, the first time you put on your new gym shoes and knew you would kill your next game, the first time you put on your scrubs knowing you were on your way to where you want to be.
No matter how you pick-out your outfit, with a lot of thought or very little, you picked those pieces for a reason. To feel some sort of comfort. That feeling of comfort lies into feeling confident with yourself and your gut. That no matter which decisions you have to make the rest of the day, whether your day was good or sucked, at least you know you did one thing right.
Till next time, cheers!
Clo



Post a Comment