My Escapes From Reality

January 21, 2020





The sound of a spinal crack as it ricochets off the book bind stitches and into the air as it's complemented by the strong scent of manipulated and weathered paper is one of the most soothing yet thrilling acts to me. There is nothing like the sweet smell of a new paperback.

The crinkle of each passing page as you continuously rush from one page to the next because the pull of the story has cast a strong line- to the point of your senses and focus being held captivated by their reality rather than yours. An escape; my favorite type of escape.

If you haven’t noticed, I love books. I love going to bookstores and putzing through the shelves to see what cover captures my eye, reading the blurbs about each and every book I pick up to see if it piques my interest, freaks me out or leaves confused on how this manuscript beat out all of the others that made its way through the publishing house.

Books contain the oldest form of communication; the written word. Besides geeking out on that fact, it is quite impressive that throughout all the changes the world has witnessed and endured, this is one of few things thats been a constant and will continue to outlive anything.

Though I love reading, it ironically was not a strong suit of mine growing up. I was not the strongest reader. This was actually the first challenge I ever faced in life but fast forward to now, my weakness has now turned into a passion of mine.

Don't get me wrong, I love the greats and appreciate the hidden messages within their work, Hemmingway I see you, but like I've said before, books can be whatever you want or need them to be. My favorite types of genres include prose, drama, fiction, poetry and contemporary romance.

Classic and informative books are great but I enjoy escaping into a mindnumbing easy-going read, thus making rom-com books easily my favs. I love love, sue me.

There's nothing like finding a book that makes you feel so much to the point of having to set your book down because you're either pissed off, extremely excited or heartbroken and just need to take a minute. Isn't it the best?!

So without further ado, here is my list of recommendations, a mix of rom-com, a thriller, and some reality check (self-help) books that are my suggested must-reads!


Clo's Book Rec
    1. All of Jasmine Guillory's books; this series is set in today's reality and is just really stinkin cute!
      • The Wedding Date
      • The Proposal 
      • The Wedding Party
      • Party of Two (This one is not out yet but I cannot wait to get my hands on it. Yes, it's not out and yes it made the list. Why? Because I have faith it will hold up like these last ones.)
    2. The Friend Zone by Abby Jimenez
      • This book made me so annoyed with the character and her choices but at the same time, empathetic because in a way, the choices she made are understandable and because of this, that broke my heart. But then there's a plot twist you just don't expect that breaks your heart again but then you're happy again? Idk talk about an emotional rollercoaster that is definitely worth the ride.
    3. The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang
      • I got this book, it sat on my shelf and when it came time to read it, I honestly forgot what it was about. Rather than reading the back for a refresher, I just dove in and boy was I shocked because I just wasn't expecting this storyline. It's from a unique POV that is rarely ever heard from- an autistic woman. To me, in a weird way, it's like Pretty Woman but instead, the rich and powerful is the woman and the prostitute is the man- another POV that's rarely heard from too.  
    4. The Cactus by Sarah Haywood
      • This was on Reese Witherspoon x Hello Sunshine Book Club Pick which is how I found this book. It does start off slow and then picks up in the middle which is usually not my favorite but there was something about the story that made me want to know how everything turns out. Unlike the last 5 books where I read them in one sitting, with this one, you can definitely read night by night over the course of a week. A very good story you should check out!
    5. Not The Girl You Marry by Andie J. Christopher
      • Now talk about a rom-com book. The reviews for this book said it's an updated version of How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days. After reading it, I can 100% agree this statement is very much true. I love a classic rom-com book.
    6. All The Missing Girls by Megan Miranda
      • A book recommended by a fellow bookworm, s/o Taylor Martinez. With this book, just when you think you've guessed what happens- which let me tell you, as an avid crime show junkie, my investigation skills are killer (no pun intended but also not mad about it), everything you know is wrong. Since this story starts backward, it adds even more spice to the storyline. If you're like me where once you're invested in a book and can't put it down until you finish it, this the book for you. If you value sleep, you might want to start this on the weekend so you can balance out a late-night with sleeping in the next day.
    7. Aquarius by Sally Kirkman
      • Yeah yeah yeah, I read astrology books about my sign, what about it? All things astrology fascinates me, especially when it comes to learning more about myself, seeing if some traits hold true, etc. It's just dumb and fun. Like I said before, books don't always have to be a deep intellectual based novel. This is an easy read and only took maybe 20 minutes to finish. A waste of money? Nah, it now serves as a cute little coffee table book. 
    8. Nice is Just A Place In France by The Betches
      • A book rec by another fellow bookworm, s/o Claire Fountas. This book was definitely interesting because it basically tells you sometimes you just have to say screw you, don't take shit and just accept that Nice is just a place in France. 
    9. Guac is Extra But So Am I by Sarah Solomon 
      • Disclaimer: I haven't read this book yet. But nevertheless, I am so excited to read it! It's a book that's literally marketed to people my age since the situations discussed in the book are all about life once you're a real adult in your early 20s. 
    10. Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance by Angela Duckworth
      • Disclaimer: Another book I haven't read yet. A book that I am also excited to read because this one focuses on understanding that everyone is smart but it's how you use your grit, your passions to stay focused on what you want to accomplish which is then how you can succeed.  




Till next time, cheers!

Clo



Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Yo It's Clo. Design by FCD.