Pay Me What I'm Worth

November 20, 2019




So today is Latina Equal Payday. A day that is meant to inform the public about what this means, why it's a national day and why it needs more attention. More attention, aka press, that allows this info to go beyond those of this minority in order for change to occur. 

Now, I have to be honest, I don't really think about my ethnicity unless I'm explaining why I can't speak Spanish. A conversation that usually consists of, "Yes I'm Latina, no I don't speak Spanish, Why? Well, surprise I'm adopted."

The reason why I don't think about my ethnicity often is not because I'm ashamed or because I don't want to embrace it, it has to do with the fact that it's my physical identity but mentally, I have not been immersed/ I don't know enough about my Spanish culture to identify as a full Latina, that is, until recently.

From my reading students, that I taught during my senior year of high school to the four years I spent in Arizona at university, that's the first time I was fully enveloped into the loop of my biological culture. My students and friends provided me with scrumptious authentic cuisine and music, all while simultaneously mocking me for my gringo accent. Which ya know, valid.

Regardless of how I may view and understand myself, based on my skin color, to the world, I am a fully authentic Latina woman. The only time that's negative is when it comes to the working world.

Shortlist of how fellow minorities and I are discriminated against:

1. Latinas typically earn only 54 cents for every dollar earned by white, non-Hispanic men
2. A Latina will lose $1,121,440 over the course of her career to the pay gap
3. Latina pay gap's closed by the only 4 cents in the last 4 decades
4. Latina's need to work until we're 93 years old to catch up to the pay white men earn by 60 years old
5. For every 100 entry-level men who are promoted to manager, only 68 Latinas are promoted




Sucks right. You're telling me even though I've done everything right, have a plethora of knowledge and life experience, it essentially means shit? That based on a claim with no proof, I am not deemed as a worker worthy of equal pay?

Pardon my french, but what bullshit.


Now that we're all fired up, 
The Lean In Organization has provided advice on how to change the system:

1. Conduct a pay audit
2. Ensure that hiring and promotions are fair for all
3. Provide equal opportunities for career advancement
4. Make it a norm for Mujeres to negotiate

All common sense actions but nevertheless, a common courtesy not provided to everyone.

Even if this doesn't affect you, I hope this pisses you off. I hope this surface-level article makes you feel more educated on this topic, and you now understand why it's a national day. But more importantly, I hope this raises your awareness about what your peers may be going through. Be an alley, stand up for those who are being taken advantage of and to my fellow minorities, don't feel invalid about arguing the system.

Equality shouldn't be a privilege, it's a right.

On an unrelated side note: 
Since my latest fashion post, on the BOF, Business of Fashion, Instagram account, they recently posted about an article they published that discusses how sustainability will be both the biggest challenge and opportunity in 2020. Definitely a good read and further look into this topic in the fashion world. 


Till next time, cheers!

Clo

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Yo It's Clo. Design by FCD.