Now with this post, I'm going to be honest, I'm not sure where exactly I want to take this. I'm about to share a thought that I've been pondering for some time now.
Awhile back, I was at home having lunch with my parents. We were munching on the deli slices my nana had purchased from Natali, an authentic Italian grocery store just outside of Chicago. As I was constructing a gorgeous Italian sub, full of Prosciutto and Mortadella, my mom looked at me and said, "I love that you love food."
I'm sorry, what?
This phrase seemed so strange. As I looked at my mom quizzically, she elaborated. She went on to say she loves that I don't over think anything and always eat what I want. In no way was this judgmental, she was merely stating a fact. When I eat, I will eat whatever looks and sounds good. I don't overthink by looking too far into things such as calories and so forth. This, this is an important piece of information.
I eat what I want because I can. I am lucky to say I have a healthy relationship with food. Again, this seems strange to be writing about, even pointing out but the gravity of privilege that weighs into this phrase is strong. A phrase unfortunately many cannot relate to. But why- why is this a privilege? Well, here's why.
Food can be a huge obstacle, even the evil villain in some peoples stories. There are people who have an eating disorder, or have some type of disease that prevents them from eating, rather being feed through a feeding tube, or people who need to take medication but then in turn, disrupts their appetite. So again, the fact that I can say I have the ability to choose what I want to eat and when I want to eat is a privilege. Something that seems so simple to most but is not to many.
I guess the point I'm trying to make is that things in life seem simple but always understand the gravity of everyday abilities. We don't understand what we have until it's pointed out to us which again is another strange thing.
Why can't we see why we should grateful everyday? Why does it always have to be other people who point it out to us for us to see?
I feel blessed and understand how privileged I am to say:
I have a healthy relationship with food.
I have the ability to control my body of what it eats.
I have the ability to control when I eat.
I have the financial ability to eat how I want to eat.
Besides just eating food, understand that food is a gateway into understanding cultures, a different and savory way of experiencing life. A level of normality that is unfortunately unattainable for some.
I guess the message I am trying to relay is that this is, no pun intended, a food for thought moment. A thought that ties into my recent posts about the 30 Day Challenge. Understanding and appreciating what you have. Know that privilege is presented is many forms; it's not always big things.
Though we should carry this mindset daily, it is a fitting topic to take with you as we transition into the holiday season. By understanding what you have this will help to understand what you can give to the world because there's so much on person can do. So much you can do.
The world can never have too many acts of kindness and love.
Till next time, cheers!
Clo

Post a Comment