Cultivating Creativity

October 18, 2019




Being 22 means that I am a member of Generation Z; the generation that grew up with the privilege of having traditional and new ways of learning, playing and being creative. I was able to draw on paper but I was also taught how to draw on the computer- thanks for those fond memories Kid Pix.

From here, that software was just the beginning of my exposure to technology. I feel as though I am aging myself since I grew up during a time when the iPod was a strange 'thing' and the company Apple seemed like a strange new futuristic company that may or may not work out. (Little did we know the impact it would have on the world). I had witnessed the evolution of these gadgets, the company and the internet as a whole.

Facebook was the latest 'it' thing to have around 2008. MySpace who? 

Then, Twitter was the next platform I eagerly joined in 2010. While Twitter took a hot sec to takeoff, since people took awhile to understand how to work and properly utilize it beyond a space to fangirl over celebrities, it slowly become Facebook 2.0. A platform that allowed for more creative freedom. Then next thing I knew, new platforms kept popping up left and right. Instagram, Tumblr, Pinterest and Youtube. 

During this time, I was finding new outlets that let me continue to grow creatively in a way I wasn't able to do before. I was watching videos of fashion hauls, following accounts for fashion, hair, and beauty inspiration, while also having a place to store and share my photos and thoughts with others. 

As I previously mentioned in another post, fashion is my safe haven. My comfort blanket that I love to share with others. Unbeknownst to me, the pictures I had been sharing of my outfits either on myself or laid out on the floor followed by descriptive captions would soon become known as 'Outfit Of The Days' and 'Flat-lays.' Techniques that are now constantly used by fashion bloggers today.

Fast forward to 2019, a time where bitterness is as potent as a sour Warhead, these media platforms have grown. They've become a place where it seems as though,

"Everyone on Instagram is a photographer. Or a chef. Or an artist. Or a fashion blogger. Or a dancer. Which is pretty awesome actually. People didn't get this chance to showcase their talent earlier. Do your thing. Be creative. Let the whole world see it. Sorry if you were expecting a joke," (Anonymous). 

Too often, there is a stigma and mockery that follows being excited or even passionate about being creative, especially when it comes to Instagram. It seems like everyone is a chef, fashionista, dancer or photographer because for the first time, these people have been given the opportunity to share their gift with the world. The first opportunity to share and display their passion, thus the overload of similar accounts. 

On another related note, this stigma is a general normality that's carried with the arts. In terms of academics in school, if one understands and excels in traditional courses, they're deemed as smart. If one isn't able to keep up, then it's embarrassing to not be good and need extra help. But if one isn't good at fine arts, then it's okay, "not everyone was made to be creative." A traditional job is on a higher pedestal, whereas a job in the creative arts is not deemed as credible and risky.

Now, this is not an argument of who deserves more praise than the other, or who is smarter. Rather, I am merely questioning why each worlds aren't looked at as equal? Equally, they are both challenging, important, and made for specific people. Weaknesses do not make people any less of a human, rather just an area they have room to grow in. With weakness comes strength; no matter the strength, allow people to celebrate what they were made to do. 

More often than not, social media is a joke. In some regards, yes the Sugar Bear Hair and other useless brand deals do not help this stigma, but nevertheless, I stand behind the platforms since at the end of the day, they're a creative outlet. Being 'extra' in order to bring your vision to life, organizing your feed by color or filter and connecting with people based on similar interest is the point and thrill of it all. Clicking through endless artistic accounts is what gets my mind racing 1,000 miles an hour. There's endless creative possibilities of what visions I get, want to bring to life and research I can conduct to gain further inspiration.

If you don't understand or see the point, there's nothing wrong with that. To all their own. There are other passions people have that I don't understand. But just because you may not have the same passion as another person does not make their passion any less. 

Are there aspects that need to be changed? Of course! All of this is still new. So as the platforms continue to alter for the better, continue to say your jokes, make the memes- they're pretty entertaining and at times true. But understand that these platforms have cultivated a creative spark and spirit that is not going to be dulled anytime soon. 

Till next time, cheers!
Clo





Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Yo It's Clo. Design by FCD.