Now What?

August 15, 2019





Adulthood comes at ya fast. One minute, you're in high school, the next you're packing for freshman year at university and then all of a sudden, you're an alumna. Who let that happen?

I can honestly say, I was never that kid who wished they were older. Ya know those kids, who were like, "I want braces," or "I wanna be in my twenties now." Well, we're here now and idk what they were expecting but this ain't it chief.


The best way I can explain adulthood thus far would be to equivalate it to WarHeads candy. One moment, everything is sour but then it becomes sweet.

              Sour: leaving a state and town that holds newfound memories, leaving your friends who now feel like family and having everyone you love spread out all over the country.

              Sweet: being back with family, back in my city, having a car (I cannot stress how happy I am about this one), and well graduating because let's be honest, this is a huge deal. Oh and getting a job you actually like- based on my previous posts, who would have freakin thought? It's a Christmas miracle! And with that, I digress. 


But, just when you think life is all daisies and roses, you're hit with another burst of sourness that sends a shiver down your spine and makes you break into a small sweat. This, this unexpected hit is what it felt like when I realized I don't know anything and I will soon have to know everything aka taxes, insurance, bills, the list goes on and on. Idk about you but this truly sent me. My eye is twitching now.

Growing up, I was fortunate enough to be able to have parents who made everything look easy. Both of my parents worked fulltime, were hands-on in both of their children's lives, dealing with other crap while also doing everything they could- basically, moving mountains for me and my brother to be happy. Now, as a child, you don't think about the behind-the-scenes of what goes into making all of this possible, obviously because you're an infant. But as the years go on, as I am barely able to keep myself together, I have nothing but admiration towards my parents.

How? How? I truly can't even comprehend how they were able to do all of this. By that I mean this type of commitment is both mentally and physically exhausting. But besides that how will I be able to do this in the future too? I've already got the short end of the stick because they're both CPA's. Taxes? Check. Everything else? Well, tbh idk where they learned all of that but if you can understand taxes well I feel like everything else must seem like a cakewalk. As for me, haha the creative child who does social media, I am SOL.

Although my mom is a CPA and does my taxes at her accounting firm, I want to know what's going on. It would be a lot easier to just accept that she handles that portion of my life and move on but I want to feel like I have some sort of general understanding about what is happening. That said I have taken it upon myself to utilize what is in front of me. My dad is basically a walking Google and my mom, well she may not be a walking Google but she has other useful skills to bring to the table too.

As of right now, I am in the process of making flowcharts that explain what steps you should take to complete your taxes, insurance, bills, etc. It also explains what all of it means; there are so many fancy phrases that I personally believe are just completely unnecessary.

It honestly is v helpful so far. If this keeps up, idk I might go ahead and share it with everyone because god only knows how much me and my fellow Gen-z peers need this type of guidance.

Till next time, cheers!
Clo

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Yo It's Clo. Design by FCD.